In March of 2003 my friend Nick started keeping a list of phrases and words particular to Waffle, our mailing list. In hopes of keeping it more up-to-date, I've wikified it.
Nick's original intro:
This guide has been created to provide definitions and background on
words/phrases/sayings which have become part of the Waffle list, but
which are probably not everyday knowledge to the public at large. The
guide can be used by current Waffle members to refresh their memory on
what a particular saying means if they have forgotten. It can also be
used by new Waffle members, who may gain a better understanding of what
the long time members are talking about.
The lexicon also includes nicknames for Waffle members which have
either originated on Waffle or are used almost exclusively on Waffle.
The list is presented in alphabetical order.
- 5yle, The See 7yle, The.
- 6yle, The See 7yle, The.
- 7yle, The Nickname for Waffle member Kyle. Created from a typo of 'Kyle', by Waffle member Nick. Originated as 'The 5yle' and later progressed to 'The 6yle', and finally 'The 7yle.' Kyle has stated that one day he hopes to evolve into 'The 8yle' but knows it will be a long and arduous process. The privilege of progressing from number to number is informally given to Nick as he originated the nickname.
- Annatober Created when Waffle Member Anna mistakenly called the 22nd of September the first day of September. Annatober occupies the days the rest of the world knows as the 1st through 22nd of September. By a proclamation on 24 September 2009
September 24^th, 2009
A/K/A: 3^rd post Annatober, 2009
This is a notice to inform all interested parties that Annatober
hereby exists as the American calendar dates September 1^st 22^nd of
each annum, also known as the waning days of summer, or why do I have
the air conditioning on in September for Gods sake!?. This is
validated by the notary, Anna Louise Weiler, also by the members of
WAFFLE and the one known to Anna as Kula and to others as Sir Thomas
of the Ysplanti.
I hereby proclaim Annatober to be the month to appreciate all things
Goth, the official color of Annatober to be black, the official
appreciated animals to be cats and bats, and the official symbol to be
a storm cloud.
This proclamation has been made by Anna on the third day post
Annatober (1st annual) in the year of two thousand nine.
I confirm this to be true in the forms of my scope of knowledge.
X-XRef: Waffle: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Awesmoe Awesome. Originated from amusing typo by Waffle member Nick. Used by Waffle member Kula as a domain, awesmoe.org, for hosting random friend's webpages.
- BDSMR BDSM (Bondage/Domination/Sado-Masachism) Room.
- Blade Wang Dryer (Abbr. BWD). A blade-style dryer, often seen in large public facilities as a replacement for conventional hot-air hand dryers, that is specifically designed and configured for drying wangs.
- BWD See Blade Wang Dryer
- Cumbusting Having sex so vigorously that the participants in question catch on fire, e.g. spontaneous cumbustion.
- Double plus Originated from Mike (see Shoe), likely taken from 1984 by George Orwell. Essentially means extra, as in 'double plus good,' or 'double plus bad.'
- Field Marshall of Cool, The Title for Waffle member Nick. Bestowed upon himself after thinking up something cooler than anyone else had ever thought of.
- Foam Party Complex See FPC
- FPC Foam Party Complex, a hypothetical room in a house designed to house a Foam Party. See also FPC/BDSMR/VTBRR Suite
- FPC/BDSMR/VTBRR Suite A suite combining an FPC, BDSMR and a VTBRR in the same location. So created because both the use and the construction of the three separate rooms complement each other when colocated.
- Fussy-Kula Convention on Hotties of 2008, The: An agreement between Waffle Members Fussy and Kula which cedes hotties west of Lake Michigan as belonging to Fussy, and hotties east of Lake Michigan to Kula.
I will define two lines, the Podal and Antipodal Dividing Lines. The Podal
Dividing Line is: Starting at the North Pole and descending due South to
Latitude 41.102013 deg. N, Longitude 85.412779 deg. W, being the
intersection of East Beech Road and Lake Michigan Scenic Hwy, near
Naubinway, MI; from thence Southwest to Latitude 41.603618 deg. N, Longitude
87.27097 deg W., being the end of North Lake Street, Gary, IN; from
thence due South to the South Pole. The Antipodal Dividing Line is: Starting
at the North Pole and descending due South to Latitude 41.102013 deg. N.,
Longitude 85.412779 deg E., being approximately 25 miles Northwest of
Karamay, China; from thence Southwest to Latitude 41.603618 deg. N, Longitude
87.27097 deg E., being approximately 20 miles east of Ku'erele, China; from
thence due South to the South Pole.
Anything that is both West of the Podal Dividing Line and East of the
Antipodal Dividing Line belongs to Admiral, conversely anything that
is both East of the Podal Dividing Line and West of the Antipodal
Dividing Line belongs to me. So Admiral has the western roughly
2/3rds of North America and the eastern roughly half of Asia, along
with Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand, and I
get the eastern 1/3rd of North America, probably all of South America,
Greeland, Iceland, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and the roughly
western 1/2 of Asia. While I'm not happy giving up Australia (a vast
strategic stronghold, as any Risk player can tell you), I'm happy
with what I have.
X-XRef: Waffle: 20090115160832.GD6956@mcketrick.tproa.net
- Gaycronym An acronym from queer subculture. Created by Waffle Member Nick.
- HDGP "High Definition Granny Porn". Created by Waffle Member Nick in an IM conversation between him and Waffle Member Kula
- Hi Carnivore! Short sentence tacked on to the end of a message which the sender feels will be of particular interest to the FBI. Carnivore is the computer/filtering system the FBI maintains to intercept electronic messages which may contain information about terrorists and other undesirables. By attaching 'Hi Carnivore!' onto a message the sender is greeting the agents who will read his/her message. Such messages usually say something nasty about the President, government landmark, or other national leader. May also be used as Hi, DCS1000!, after an alternative name for Carnivore.
- Hitler Card An extension of "Godwin's Law" (which states that the first person in a Usenet arguement to invoke Hitler or Nazis in some way has ended the arguement and lost). The codified Hitler Card rules of Waffle are that one, the first person to invoke Hitler or Nazis (i.e. to play the Hitler Card) stops the argument and that two, the party or parties that are insinuated to agree with Hitler or do something that Hitler would have done has lost the argument (this second rule was added after Waffle member Nick used the Hitler Card, but used it in such a way to place his side of the argument with Hilter. With this rule, Nick ended the argument, but also lost it.) The ending of the argument is irrevokable, for some undetermined amount of time. The Hitler Card is routinely used to break the universe.
- Hive Mind Many members of Waffle seem to have some sort of psychic link, and often times you will see two or more people send out essentially the same response to a particular e-mail. The typical response to this is 'Hive Mind' or 'HM'. See also HM.
- HM Shorthand for Hive Mind
- If I had a nickel for every time X, I'd own Loco Joe's A mutation of the colloquial saying, 'If I had a nickel for every time X, I'd have Y dollars'. In this case Loco Joe's refers to a famous, or infamous chain of nickel arcades in the Des Moines area.
- JaBeth Nickname for the Jason and Beth unit. Lou combined their names.
- Jaon Nickname for Waffle member Jason, originated by someone who left out the 's' in his name. Update this if you know who it was.
- Jeemy Nickname for Waffle member Jeremy. Originated from a typo by Mike (see Shoe), who left out an 'r.'
- Juloulie Nickname for Waffle member Lou and former Waffle member Julie K (now Julie C) when considered as one unit. Also may refer to the residence of Lou and Julie. Origin: an anagram of their first names, created by Tom Kula. (Original spelling: Jiloulie)
- Kula Nickname for Waffle member Tom. This is an older nickname which originated at Drake University. Its origins are lost in the Mists of Time (see Mists of Time).
- Kylosexual The state by which people, no matter what their typical sexual orientation, become attracted to Waffle member Kyle. Created by Waffle member Kula. (See 20100519014421.GJ1229@mcketrick.tproa.net)
- Medinger's First Law of Pandoradynamics Entering Tone Loc into Pandora makes it impossible to play a bad song.
- Mists of Time Used to indicate that some event either happened at some indeterminite point in the past, happened at some point in the past but no one can agree when, or when some event happened but the speaker can't be bothered to remember when the event happened. Alternate forms: Mists of Thyme, Mysts of Thyme, etc.
- Mommy Nickname for Waffle member Tom.
- Munge To hit, kick or otherwise strike. Commonly used in the phrase munge in the taco. See Taco.
- Nerd the fuck out To act nerdy in the extreme. E.g.: "It's when people dress up like the things they're nuts over (Harry Potter characters, Naruto stuff, etc) and then nerd the fuck out in large numbers." Created by Waffle Member Mark.
- Oh, Hell No! A common exclaimation, usually spoken in a voice reminecent of the character Frylock in the animated series Aqua Teen Hunger Force, from which it was taken.
- Or so the Germans would have us believe... Perfect way to end an sentence. Typically used when you wish to indicate some degree of incredulity at a statement, either truthfully or in a facetious manner.
- Original Cum Dumpster Created by Waffle member Kula after Admiral used the acronym OCD.
- PDPU (optional The) Nickname for former Waffle member Dan R. PDPU is an acronym which stands for Perambulatory Data Processing Unit. Originated from former Waffle member Dan N. who created it in reference to Dan R's logical behavior and thought patterns.
- Project List, The A mythical list of projects that Waffle member Kula wishes to work on. Usually placing something on this list means it will never get done.
- Prime Mover, The Title for former Waffle member Jeremy (see Jeemy). Originates from a cosmological argument for the existence of God, in which all motion is assumed to derive from the first movement, which was caused by the Prime Mover. Based on the fact that Jeremy used to send the most e-mail to Waffle, thus generating many replies and thus Waffle traffic. He has always denied that he was/is the Prime Mover. The title has since become transitive and no longer applies to Jeremy; currently it applies to Waffle member Mark. The identity of the Prime Mover can typically be discovered only in the Prime Mover's temporary absence from Waffle, since mail will slow to a crawl during that time.
- Ricockulous Extremely ridiculous. Alternate spelling: Recockulous. Its origin comes from replacing the "dic" in "ridiculous" with the higher-powered term "cock."
- Ricuntulous Profoundly, superlatively ridiculous. Alternate spelling: Recuntulous. See Ricockulous.
- Romanians After Waffle Member Paul S. had a computer broken into by a team from Romania, problems with technology or unexpected behavior of technology is often blamed on Romanians, as in 'Google is returning nothing but links to Roy Orbison fan pages for my search for "cling wrap". I blame the Romanians'.
- Shoe Nickname for Waffle member Mike.
- Shogan Combination of the names Shoe and Megan. Sometimes seen as Shoemegan.
- Skylame Nickname for Waffle members Kyle and Sam F when considered as one unit. Also may refer to the residence of Kyle and Sam. Origin: an anagram of their first names --- technically, an anagramated portmanteau of their first names.
- Splooge - One of Waffle member Jason's favorite words. The initial purpose of The Waffle Archive was to enumerate the number of times 'splooge' had been uttered on the list.
- Spog A portmanteau of Sperm Fog.
- Spogging To emit spog.
- Stan Alter ego created by Jason after Jason had left Waffle. Stan was created as a way for Jason to return to Waffle without anyone, except Lou, who added him, knowing. The ruse didn't last long as Jason soon revealed himself.
- Swy5q Alternative spelling of Waffle member Sarah. Based on more conventional spelling of her nickname, Swick.
- Swy5qtological Argument (alternative spelling, Swicktological Argument) An arguing style named after Waffle member Sarah (Swy5q), who had a tendency to try to say something to defend herself but actually say something that hurt her argument.
- Taco Face. Usage: "You need to be punched in the taco," etc.
- TBone Nickname for Waffle member Tom. This is an older nickname which originated at Drake University during a first year seminar. For some reason the nickname stuck. Tom is very particular about the spelling of the nickname. See also, Tome and Kula.
- Titally Totally. Originated from caught typo by Waffle member Mark. Usage: "That's titally awesmoe," etc (See Awesmoe).
- Tome Nickname for Waffle member Tom. Like The 7yle this nickname originated from a typo made by Shoe (see Shoe). It is pronounced 'tome,' as in a giant book. See also, TBone and Kula.
- Twelvies The words twelvies refers to twelve year-old children, usually girls. It is usually used in a manner to indicate something that is erotic, sexy, or other wise carnal in nature. For those of you keeping score at home, no, this doesn't mean that the user wishes to have relations with underaged children. Sheesh.
- Vermooth, Geoffrey Alter ego created by Kyle (see, 7yle, The) to aid in an argument over the existence of God. Geoffrey was to argue in favor of God citing only his faith as proof of God's existence. Other Waffle members soon became suspicious of the existence of Geoffrey because he and Kyle always answered e-mail right after one another. The only persona counted as a separate person in The Waffle Archive.
- VTBRR Vampire Techno Blood Rave Room. A room designed to house a rave much like in the opening sequence of the movie Blade.
- The Waffle Archive An archive of messages to Waffle, maintained by member Kula. Usually in various states of working, and with a planed usefulness date of sometime between now and the eventual heat death of the Universe. See also Project List, The.
- Wafflebot An automated account created by Waffle member Kula to do various automated tasks. The only function that currently works very well is the automated dice roller, invoked with dicebot: help in a line by itself.
- Wexicon the Waffle Lexicon (this document). Origin: portmanteau of the words "waffle lexicon" made originally by Waffle member Kula.
- Whatever Martha A phrase started by former Waffle member Smoker Paul, before his Waffle days, refering to a friend of his. There is a coresponding hand gesture, where the person saying the phrase makes a W and than an M with their hands. An alternative version of this hand gesture places an E between the W and M.
- WM Shorthand for Whatever Martha.
- WWBBCC Wall-to-Wall Butt-Bumping Cum-Copia. Invented by Waffle member Jeremy's friend Dave Draeger.